Are you considering dermal fillers to restore volume and enhance your appearance?
Dermal fillers are a popular cosmetic procedure that can help you achieve a youthful, refreshed look. However, it's important to understand the proper aftercare routine to ensure that you feel good and get the most out of your treatment.
In this ultimate aftercare guide for dermal fillers, we'll discuss what you should and should not do after your dermal filler procedure. We'll also cover related topics you might need to know about dermal fillers.
Let’s get started!
Understanding Dermal Fillers
Before we dive into the aftercare routine, let's first discuss what dermal fillers are and how they work. Dermal fillers are a type of injectable treatment that can restore volume and plumpness to the skin.
They are known for their ability to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and filing in hollow areas of the face and body. The most popular areas for dermal filler injections are the cheeks, lips, and jawline.
Preparing for Your Dermal Filler Procedure
Before your dermal filler procedure, your provider will likely give you a pre-treatment consultation, during which they will evaluate your skin and discuss your concerns and goals for treatment.
It's also important to understand some common unappreciated side effects associated with dermal filler injections. These may include swelling, bruising, and redness. However, these side effects are usually mild and would not last long.
To prepare for your procedure, you should avoid taking blood-thinning medicines such as aspirin or ibuprofen for at least one week before your appointment. You should also avoid drinking alcohol or smoking for at least 24 hours before your procedure.
Aftercare Instructions: Do’s and Dont’s
After your dermal filler procedure, you can do a few things to ensure that you get the most out of your treatment and feel good:
- Keep your head elevated: To minimize swelling, keep your head elevated immediately after your procedure. This helps to reduce blood flow to the treated area, which in turn reduces swelling and bruising.
- Apply a cold compress:To reduce swelling and discomfort, you can apply a cold compress to the treated area for 10-15 minutes at a time, several times a day. Cold temperatures constrict blood vessels and reduce inflammation, which can help to minimize swelling and discomfort.
In some cases when a patient swells too much as a result of poor aftercare it can cause avoidable migration. Consistent icing is the best way to prevent over swelling.
- Avoid using makeup and skincare products: You should avoid applying makeup or skincare products to the treated area for at least 24 hours after your procedure. This will help to minimize the risk of irritation or infection.
- Follow your injector's aftercare instructions: Your provider will give you specific instructions on how to care for your skin after your procedure. Be sure to follow these instructions carefully to ensure the best possible results.
There are also a few things you should avoid after your dermal filler procedure:
- Avoid strenuous exercise: You should avoid strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours after your procedure. Strenuous activities can cause blood vessels to dilate, leading to increased blood flow to the treated area and potentially causing more swelling.
- Avoid exposure to extreme heat or cold: This will help to minimize the risk of swelling and discomfort.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking: Alcohol and smoking can cause blood vessels to constrict, which can increase the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Avoid massaging the treated area: You should avoid touching or massaging the treated area for at least 24 hours after your procedure. Doing so can cause the filler to migrate to unwanted areas and thus cause uneven results.
Dermal fillers can be a great way to restore volume and enhance your appearance. However, it's important to understand the proper aftercare routine to ensure that you feel good and get the most out of your treatment.
If you're considering dermal fillers, we recommend that you schedule a consultation with a qualified injector to discuss your concerns and goals. At Ageless Health Medicine, located in Bend and Gresham, OR, we specialize in dermal filler treatments. Our team of professionals will ensure you are comfortable and well-informed throughout the process.